Hey Brands, Get Out Of My Social Media Grill

By Armando Samuels: “I was B&R in Panama and moved to the US 8 years ago to learn the language and go to school. I’m a wannabe photographer/pro fantasy football player/pro-karaoke singer/film maker aspiring to be a native English speaker, in my spare time I am an account guy at TBWA\Chiat\Day in Los Angeles and a little bit of an Ad Junkie. I enjoy beer, women, sports and loud farts.”

Sorry, Burger King, but I don’t want to be your friend on Facebook & Cap’n Crunch, you need to stop trying to follow me on twitter.

I’m tired of dealing with brands all over social media, I need a minute of my day when brands are not all up on my shit. Is that possible? I know that social hubs like Facebook and twitter are relatively new and brands are scrambling to figure out what’s the best way to use them, but let me give you some advice, “STOP! You are not fooling anyone.”

I’m not saying advertising is bad. I love advertising and believe in it, but what I don’t believe in is this idea that all brands need to be part of social media. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but I’m talking about the other 98%.

Almost every brand in the world wants to jump on the social media express so they can “create stronger connections with their consumers”…I call BS. You want to sell me something, of course, but I honestly believe this is the wrong way of doing it. Aunt Jemima posting a message on my wall is not going to make me buy 2 liters of syrup. I appreciate your devotion to my money but I don’t need you to post on my wall nor send me tweets about the new 19.99 headsets at Radio Shack.

I know what you are going to say, “if you don’t like it, then don’t accept them” but that’s not my point. My point is that brands are wasting their time and money on a medium where they don’t belong and makes them look desperate. Social networks are for me, my friends and the people that I know, NOT BRANDS.

My friends don’t look at me as consumer and when they do it’s very uncomfortable. “YO! Mike, ma’ mom says you’re invited to dinner tomorrow, by the way I need to talk to you about this new weight band I’m selling.”

Listen, keep your friends close and your brands far away! I know where to get in touch with you when I need you.

Brands need to stop being so insecure. Yes, I said it. It’s like an ugly guy dating a really hot chick. He knows that she might leave him at any time so he tries to do everything in his power to prevent that to happen. He follows her to the supermarket, to the movies, to the spa, and he sends her tweets and Facebook messages all the time. I’m not a dating expert, but I can tell you that he won’t be dating her for long.

It’s the same thing. The more that you try to be part of my life, the more turned off I get. If I love a brand, I will find you, and I’ll be your biggest fan. So instead of trying to be all up in my shit why don’t you act confident (I’ve heard chicks dig it). Act like you believe in your product and its quality and maybe I’ll give you a chance.

Maybe I’m wrong and you are all going to quote examples of brands that are doing a great job in the social media space and you are going to tell me how social media is a great way to exercise “brand behavior” in a relevant space and you may be right, but the sad part is that we all know it’s not genuine. It’s another marketing effort to get my money and my attention.

I would much rather be the unforgettable guy who is confident, doesn’t care what others think and knows he has a great product (if you know what I mean) than the annoying, insecure guy who spends a little bit too much money on himself and follows his hot girlfriend everywhere to make himself feel better.

So how about we make a pact, brands of the world, stop trying to be someone you are not (my friend) and be who you are (a confident brand that believes in your product). I know you are there and if I don’t, I’m sure I’ll see you on TV or every time I open a magazine – just please stay away from my social network.

Armando Samuels is a wannabe photographer/pro fantasy football player/pro karaoke singer/film maker aspiring to be a native English speaker, in his spare time he’s an account guy at TBWA\Chiat\Day in Los Angeles and a little bit of an Ad Junkie.

Next Great Posts labeled as Next Great are generally submissions by various contributors, whose information can be found within the text of the article. Next Great posts without author information are the collective effort of the editorial staff: Christine Peterson, Alex Pearlman and Edward Boches.

25 Responses to “Hey Brands, Get Out Of My Social Media Grill”

1. bobbyhennessey

Hey Armando – well written article.

I couldn't agree more that there are a lot of businesses getting in people's faces in SM – example: I jokingly tweeted to a friend about the fact that a swear jar from a desk I had to assemble would surpass my current retirement funds… moments later, my BB buzzed with an email that “retirementplans” (or something like that) was now following me. No, they are not right in my face about it – but that is a waste of their time.

On the other hand, I think there are some brands that do a really good job with it. Another friend of mine recently had something shipped from USA to Canada valued at ~$250, and he got tagged with $100 brokerage (or something) charges from the shipping company – something he saw as incredibly unfair to charge a consumer to pick up something they already paid for with no warning of this. He tweeted his rage, using the shipping companies name and the hashtag #scam. He received a DM minutes later from the shipping company looking to speak offline and hoping they could cut the brokerage fees in half. That's service that a company like that can ONLY provide using social media and monitoring their brand mentions.

You're right, there are some brands doing the engagement side of social media poorly, but I believe there are very few companies that cannot benefit from listening to what we're saying out there at the very least.

Cheers Armando!

Bobby

2. Carol Phillips

Armando: Great post, I think this explains why brands like Trader Joe's that have not entered the social media space are still popular with Gen Y. They are not acting like a lovesick suitor. Thanks for the enlightening read. I wrote something similar last spring, you may want to check this out: “Why Brands Make Poor Friends” http://bit.ly/cBXNxk

3. Angela Stefano

Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work. I could not agree more. While I do sometimes find new brands/websites to check out (read: shop from) via social media, I've had enough of the spam-y wall posts, messages and twitter followers that are advertising stuff I just don't need.

4. esd714

A well written, well presented piece. However: I would argue that its not that brands should not be on social media–they are using social media wrong.

Posting money off for Aunt Jemimah syrup on my FB wall is not useful. However, engaging the way @comcastcares or the way @aairwaves does is breaking down the wall between brand and consumer–and thats a good thing.

5. Kristin Dziadul

I definitely agree with this article! I think social media works great for some companies, but not for others. Companies need to first examine if their target market is using social media, which sites, and how much ROI they can gain by being on these sites. Then, if it all makes sense, I would say great, be on social sites and interact with us. However, every company does not need to spend time and resources making themselves look more annoying to consumers who really don't care what you are doing every day at the office.

6. Armando Samuels

Thanks Bobby,
    I glad you enjoyed the read. I fully agree with you. I think lifestyle brands are the ones that are able to do interesting things in social media and have a bit of an edge. This is also a challenge to brands to figure out ways to connect with consumers out getting too annoying.

Once again “Gracias” for your comment

Armando

7. Armando Samuels

Carol, I love your article! It's way better than mine! you made a great point “Millennials do want to connect with brands as long as the connections are genuine and of value” I fully agree with you i think Genuine is the key word.
    Love your post!

Arrrmando (yes you have to roll your “R's”)

8. Armando Samuels

If It made you smile! I can call it “mission accomplished”. Honestly, I wrote it hoping that i could at least get a smile out of the people that read it. hopefully you are laughing with it and not at it :D (yes I just used a cheese smiley face don't judge me)

9. Armando Samuels

I think that using social media as a way to add to your consumer service platform is incredible and a really good idea. Like I said the percentages of brands that are using SM the right way its small. There are plenty of brands out there that just don't fit the SM world.

Mando.

10. Armando Samuels

hehehe.. you said “ROI”
    Marketing terms make me dizzy.

I actually think that the ROI is the only thing they look at. Social Media is free (or relatively cheap) so of course that the idea like of having a FB account sounds like a great investment.

11. evanpowers

The likening of overbearing brands to insecure, ugly boyfriends trying everything in the books to keep the girl was hysterical, and so true! Terrific article Armando, I'm with you; brands: give me my space!

12. Christine

Hahaha! Definitely an enjoyable read, Armando.

I work in social media at Mullen and I have seen my fair share of companies doing an excellent job in social media and companies that are one big pile of fail.

I do feel like I need to defend one point in your article though. It really bugs me when people assume marketers see everyone as little dollar signs. There are many brands that I genuinely love and I want you to love them too. A few of those brands I have the pleasure to represent. Does my love for the product immediately become irrelevant once I start accepting money to promote them?

13. Armando Samuels

No no at all. Thats just called “loving your job”. If you have the opportunity of working on a brand/product that you love it makes working on them extremely enjoyable.

Personally, I think that for our generation, the power that you as an individual have to influence my opinion of a brand, is way bigger than the power that a tweet or a FB message, from a brand, can have. Why because it's genuine or at least feels genuine.
    You “accepting” money from for favorite brand, AKA getting payed, it doesn't make your love for that brand irrelevant, it just makes your Job Awesomeeer

14. Justin Jones

Armando, what up my brother! Congrats on getting I absolutely love this. The comparison to the insecure wussy guy is a spot on. And who doesn't want to be with the “Take it or leave it, I am quality, I believe in myself and you know I'm telling truth!” confident type. These “all up in my shit” (hilarious by the way) brands seem so desperate to jump on the hot trend; it makes them loose cool points with some of their core consumers. I think social media is great for a brand if they use it right. I think interaction and engagement is a good way to go in regard to SM. Consumers today aren’t passive…we want to be entertained and excited. Whether it’s through a send to a friend, contest, or sweepstakes etc.., some kind of call to action that connects and is relevant to their core users. But at the end of the day I believe it’s all about telling a good story. And I absolutely agree with you that SM can be used to enhance customer service or to gain insight, kind of like a cheap focus group. Anyway, b/c I could geek out on this stuff. I definitely laughed while reading this, so thanks for the good read. And when you’re back East gimme a holla.

(PS: I’m still nice with my Spanish! Ha-ha)

Look at those Temple boys go.

Ciao,

Justin Jones

15. Andreana Drencheva

After all these comments, I don't have much to say. I do agree that most brands use social networks very poorly to engage with our generation and provide value. Years ago most brands weren't on Facebook and the few fan pages that existed were created by true fans. Then I become (I still do it sometimes) a fan of some of these brands because I loved them and thought it was a great way to support them. Now everyone is on Facebook and Twitter, which is OK if they know how to use these social networks. The important thing to connect with Gen Y is to provide value and utility by your social media presence. I am tired of brands that use status updates to tell me about their new shoes and how great they are and why I should buy these shoes, then post pictures of said shoes and tell me to by them. That is ridiculous and I just hide the updates from these brands. (I am still their fan because I think it shows who I am.) But there are other brands that provide real utility with their social media presence and they are the successful ones: IKEA, The New York Times, etc. And by real utility I don't mean only discounts and free tickets, although it is a good start. I mean something that would make my life easier.

16. John McTigue

I have to agree that the word “friend” really doesn't apply to social media much. Most of your “friends” on Twitter and LinkedIn, for example, are people you've never met. But I do think we all know the difference between real friends and brands online. As long as there's not too much spam, I can live with brands in the social media space. Full disclosure, I am in marketing, so I guess I'm a bit biased.

17. Brands and social networks | Pocket Money

[...] Armando Samuels over at The Next Great Generation has written a great article about brands on social networks, comparing their behaviour to “an ugly guy dating a really hot chick”.  Well worth a read: Hey Brands, Get Out Of My Social Media Grill. [...]

18. Bulb Mercedes Benz 380sec Parts Tail Light Lens, Part 380se Oem 1985 Mercedes Benz Fuel Pump

[...] 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657Bulb Mercedes Benz 380sec Parts Tail Light Lens, Part 380se Oem 1985 Mercedes Benz Fuel PumpBulb Mercedes Benz 380sec Parts Tail Light Lens, Part 380se Oem 1985 Mercedes Benz Fuel Pump380se new cars 380se troubleshooting system 380sel radiator catalytic converter 380se used 1985 mercedes benz classified ads buy assembly 380sec parts discount mercedes benz 380sel windshield washer nozzle mercedes 380sel rotors brake pads 380se parts windshield washer nozzle shock absorber brake rotors 380sel pt timing chain 380se tube camshaft oiler 380se tube taillight 380sec spoiler 380se oem 300se catalytic converter cheap 380sel mercedes benz sel exotic mercedes 380se best 1983 mercedes benz 380sel 380sel coupon codes 380se discount catalog fuel injector oxygen sensor 380sec tank 380se sale trucks 1985 mercedes benz leather interior family 380se 380se latest mercedes benz s class 380se and sale new mercedes benz 380se v8 engine 380se new classified sale 380se compare 380se aftermarket holiday mercedes radiator mercedes benz 380sec parts 380sel refurbished brake 380se sale s class mercedes benz slr mclaren amg mercedes benz 380se discount steering column 500sl heater 380se 380se new 198 mercedes benz 380se aftermarket recycling 380se factory warranty 1985 mercedes benz radiator auto body antenna mast mercedes benz 380se 380se 1983 mercedes benz 380sel 380sec craigslist 1985 mercedes 380se for sale leo 380se review 1984 mercedes benz leather interior mercedes benz 380sec discount seat belt pretensioners automatic climate control 380sec heater shock absorber sound mercedes benz 380se 380se accessories 409 stainless steel 1985 mercedes benz s class 380se bucket seats 380sel replacement auto parts 1982 mercedes performance mercedes benz 380se catalytic converter mercedes benz 380se discount automatic transmission plastic tanks 1984 mercedes 380sel 380se part antenna mast mercedes 380se pacific autozone 1983 mercedes benz 380sec parts idler pulley 380se sale classified mercedes 500 benz slk mercedes benz 380sel radiator cl55 cl65 amg mercedes benz 380se part eastern catalytic converter steel casing part 380se mercedes se original 14 380se atlantic city 380se aftermarket built 380sec hid 1983 mercedes benz accessories mercedes benz 380se parts amazon 380sec eastern catalytic converter 380se cooling system coolant expansion tank mercedes benz 380sec radiator auto parts brake caliper bargain 380sec 380se cingular 380se aftermarket driver 380se radiator garage antenna mast 380se hid 1986 1991 mercedes benz 380se radiator auto body 1985 mercedes benz spark plug wires 380se coupon comprehensive lenses 380se auto fit 380sec headlight auto parts mercedes 450sl 380se full johannesburg 380se ancient buy 380se windshield washer nozzle 409 stainless steel mercedes 380sl 380se quality auto parts windshield washer nozzle 380sel auction oe mercedes benz 380sec blub bmw 380sec sale used trucks 380sec rent 1989 mercedes benz 380se free 198 mercedes benz 380se hid xenon conversion kit 380se replacement hood shock absorber 380se bumper assembly 380se antiques 1997 mercedes benz e320 380se supermarket benz 380sec used coupes 1982 mercedes 380se substitute fuel system 380sec car product description 380sel custom coverking 380se alternative auto mercedes benz 380se master cylinder 380se used mercedes benz s class leather interior 380se bumper benz stuff 380se shop online 380se repair 1985 mercedes benz catalytic converter assembly mercedes 380sec 380se breeders carolina 1982 mercedes benz 380sel make model replacement mercedes benz 380sec brake rotors Adjust Headlights Gmc | Beretta Gun Blank | Paseo Food Model | Precis Vodka Grey | Sapporo Ford Sapporo | [...]

19. Vail Trail Map, Reliable Trailer Yuma

[...] 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940Vail Trail Map, Reliable Trailer YumaVail Trail Map, Reliable Trailer Yumatrailblazer shoes pair freightliner half trucks trailers trailer parts phoenix 2004 chevy trailblazer review trailblazer coupon radiator compare cherokee tribe trail of tears dodge truck trailer wiring harness portland trailblazers schedule 2009 truck bed liners chevy s10 trail fx 2008 mazda b2300 trailer x trail zurich out portland trailblazers lineup colorado projector headlights chevrolet trailblazer what does que tal mean auction la x trail trailblazer central heating condos for sale headlight sa chevy trailblazer 88 minutes trailer t1000 new netbook pine trail x trail gt tokyo aftermarket tail light covers chevrolet trailblazer pine barrens trails wildlife trailblazer ss aftermarket exhaust tires amazon trailduster go running boards 200 chevy trailblazer john deere tractor trailer gm trailer 325es factory polaris trail boss atv air filter work trailer hitch trailblazer headlight price range trailduster oem low chevy trailblazer door panels sale 2007 chevrolet trailblazer ss mileage floor mats parts 200 chevrolet trailblazer accessories garmont eclipse trail shoes trailblazer definition blaz thesaurus spanish old spanish trail restaurant tucson zone 2005 chevrolet trailblazer catering truck trailer f super duty aftermarket 2009 ford bed trailer brake controller 1992 toyota land cruiser weight trailer hitch chevrolet s10 trailblazer headlight gmc envoy full chevrolet trailblazer 1984 movie trailer portland trailblazers used championship mychal thompson 2008 chevrolet trailblazer car trailblazer logon chevy 2008 x trail movie buy buick rainier oldsmobile bravada 2002 chevrolet trailblazer dodge nitro trailer wiring 1999 sierra trailer wiring harness watch torino trailer chevy headlight trailblazer blazer used search pre owned trailblazer chevrolet uplander forest river wildcat travel trailers new buy trailduster mad dakota tongue weight trailer hitch trailblazer discount 200 chevrolet sport utility vehicles farr 740 sale trailer sailer auction trailduster aviator aftermarket trailer hitch ford f 150 trailblazer review pricing parts plymouth trailduster exhaust manifold buy travel fifth wheel trailer c15 c1500 suburban headlight trailer k20 trailblazer used chevrolet trailblazer van used x trail brisbane buying a demo car heater 2008 chevrolet trailblazer free shipping iraq for sale the war profiteers trailer chrysler full prowler trailer submersible led trailer lights license plate bracket new x trail australia nissan tiida bulb x trail installation torino trailer replacement 05 trailblazer tail light chevrolet trailblazer 3500 pt t2000 promotion trailer trailblazer nevada 1994 trailblazer bonus there x trail second hand nissan terrano chevrolet trailblazer suv price 1500 headlight 2009 gmc sierra work trailer portland trail blazers coupon 1987 trail et new yorker tack room 2000 gmc sierra 2500 recalls rv travel trailers aftermarket chevrolet trailblazer accessories brake rotors ssr p trailer hitch 06 trailblazer ext chevy trailblazer suv accessories floor mats trailblazer low oil pressure attelage 4×4 nissan x trail bmw serie gl450 part trailer will nissan x trail 2004 specification ss part trailer hitch ball mounts high sierra trail lottery x trail benchmark replacement sprinter 311 parts travel trailer truck camper trailer ascender part 2008 isuzu chevrolet trailblazer saab 9 7x dodge ramcharger plymouth trailduster dedicated 2007 Infiniti Fx45 | 27 Hdtv 720p | Century Cuddy Cabin | B3500 Fre Stock | Express Parts Stores | [...]