The Best of the Best of Columbia, Missouri
- Harpo’s Bar and Grill
- runners up – Shiloh, Quinton’s, The Penguin Piano Bar
- Flat Branch Pub & Brewing
- runners up – Buckingham’s (BBQ), Taqueria El Rodeo (Mexican), Addison’s (Fancy)
- El Rancho
- runner up – Broadway Diner,Gumby’s Pizza (delivery, if you can’t drive)
- Café Berlin
- B&B Bagels
- Hot Box Cookies
- Kaldi’s Coffee
- runner up – The Underground Cafe
- runner up – The Heidelberg
- Shakespeare’s Pizza
- Lee Street Deli
- runner up – Pickleman’s, The Sub Shop
- Roots ‘N Blues ‘N BBQ Festival
- runner up – True/False Film Festival, Mizzou Homecoming
- The Blue Note
- runner up – Mojo’s
- Eastside Tavern
Can’t Stop Partyin’ (Partyin’)
Sunday: Shiloh Bar and Grill ($5 pitchers, $5 pizzas, $4 Bloody Mary’s)
Monday: Bengal’s Bar and Grill (Buck Night – $1 22oz, $1 wells)
Tuesday: Tin Can (Trivia night: 50-75-100; beer $.50/50 minutes, $.75/75 minutes, $1/100 minutes and $1 shots)
Wednesday: Field House ($5 cover, Penny Pitchers)
Thursday: Harpo’s Bar and Grill (Quarter draws) then Tonic
Friday: Campus, Quinton’s, Harpo’s, Piano Bar
Saturday: Campus, Quinton’s, Harpo’s, Piano Bar
All Day Everyday: Southside Pizza and Pub ($1 bottles)
- Jon Hamm (Don Draper) and Sheryl Crow graduated from the University of Missouri. Brad Pitt was enrolled in the Missouri School of Journalism but remains one credit short of graduation.
- Billionaire realty tycoon Stanley Kroenke, who owns the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, co-owns the St. Louis Rams and is the majority stakeholder of Arsenal FC, is a Mizzou graduate who makes his home in Columbia.
- Mizzou has a knack for developing questionable businessmen. Kenneth Lay and Richard Kinder, of Enron fame, are both graduates. Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton also graduated from the University of Missouri.
- The University of Missouri Journalism School is considered one of the nation’s best. Notable alumni include John Anderson, Pat Forde, Matt Winer, Michael Kim and Seth Wickersham of ESPN, John Mack Carter (former Hearst Corp President), John Graham (Chairmen and CEO of Fleishman-Hillard), Robert Horner (President of NBC News Channel), Joyce King Thomas (Chief Creative Officer of McCann-Erikson Worldwide) and Charles Griffith Ross (Press Secretary for President Harry S. Truman). News geeks might recognize some of these Mizzou students turned anchors: Jann Carl, Sophia Choi, Jim Lehrer, Russ Mitchell, Chuck Roberts, Lisa Myers and Elizabeth Vargas.
- Columbia is located in the center of Missouri, 120 miles away from both St. Louis and Kansas City.
- The song “Whiskey Bottle” by Uncle Tupelo is rumored to be about Columbia, MO.
- Hickman High School has more named Presidential Scholars than any other public high school in the nation.
- MBS Textbook Exchange, holder of the largest collection of new and used textbooks in the nation, was founded and resides in Columbia.
- A large part of Columbia’s economy revolves around the health care industry and systems. Nearly one in six people are employed in a health-care related profession.
- The University of Missouri is home to the largest research nuclear reactor in the nation.